Facilities & Activities
The cabins are approximately five minutes walk from the village of Dalavich which has a shop, cafe and post office where you can enjoy a morning coffee, light lunch and stock up with groceries. Take-away meals are also available from the cafe. Mountain bikes are available for hire, by the day or week.
Boats with or without outboard engines are available from Thomas MacPherson at the Lochside Marina in the village. Thomas can also sell you a fishing permit for both Loch Awe and Loch Avich. Fishing rods are also available for lease. Thomas can be contacted on +44 (0)7541 206698 or at 25 Dalavich, Taynuilt, Argyll, PA35 1HN.
A social club is also situated at the end of the cabin site which is owned by the village but guests from the cabins are warmly welcomed. The restaurant, bar and kitchens have had a complete refurbishment. The bar is open 7 nights a week (April to October) and 4 nights a week (November to March). The restaurant is now open for evening meals on Thursday to Sunday and is called The Lochview Grill. A coin-operated laundrette is also available on site.
There are many beautiful forest walks in the area, including The Oakwood Trail, The Avich Falls Trail and Duncan’s Walk, all of which meander through ancient oak and pine forests. Pine marten, fox, wild cats red deer, roe deer, otter and red squirrels can often be seen. There are also regular sightings of eagles and ospreys. Apart from the signed trails, there is up to 100 miles of forest tracks and roads in the area, suitable for the serious walker or mountain biker.
Loch Awe itself is beautiful, far away from the hustle and bustle of modern life and as of now, still under-developed with no noisy water sports to shatter the peace. It has many islands worth visiting, including Innis Chonnel Castle, the first stronghold of the Campbells. The remains of Crannogs; pre historic island hut settlements, can still be seen when the loch is low, at different points along the lochside. The fishing is legendary with monster trout up to 30lb (~14Kg), salmon, sea trout, pike, perch, char etc, depending on the season.
About 50 minutes drive from Dalavich, a quaint seaside town and fishing port, from where ferries run to the islands of Mull, Iona, Colonsay, Staffa and Tiree.
Take a guided tour around this old distillery and sample its wares! Open to the public from Easter to October.
Cruachan Power Station
Take a tour of this modern hydroelectric power station at the northern end of Loch Awe, set deep inside the mountain. Open to the public from Easter to November.
The ancestral home of The Duke & Duchess of Argyll. Open to the public from April to October.
Loch Fyne Whiskies
Possibly one of the best “whiskey shops” in Scotland. Situated in the centre of Inveraray and open all year. Phone: +44 (0)1499 302219
A 19th century gaol and court room manned by guides in period costume. Listen to the trial in the court room and hear the sentence of transportation to the New World. Well worth a visit.
Situated approximately six miles south of Inveraray on the A83. An original and old highland village that has been preserved, restored and furnished, depicting life as it really was in The Highlands over past centuries.
Kilmartin Glen & Museum
Picturesque village and museum. The immediate area contains a wealth of natural, historical and archaeological features unsurpassed anywhere in Britain.
Off the A816, nine miles north of Lochgilphead. Originally the home of John Carswell, 1st Bishop of the Isles. Captured and partially blown-up during Argyll’s Rebellion of 1685.
At the north eastern corner of Loch Awe lies Kilchurn Castle, built in the 15th century by Sir Colin Campbell and is probably the most photographed castle in Scotland. The castle is open from April through to September each year and is well worth a visit. Access is via a short boat trip from the pier in Loch Awe village or by foot from the side of the A85 near the railway viaduct.
Visit this spectacular glen just east of Ballachulish on the A82. Scene of the infamous massacre of the MacDonald’s in 1692 by elements of Argyle’s Regiment under the command of Capt. Campbell of Glenlyon.